Questions and Answers

Here are a few answers to women's most common questions:

Does a vasecomy change a man's sexual performance?
Vasectomy should not affect a man's sexual performance or ejaculation, unless he harbors fears or misconceptions of his own. Sperm is only a tiny portion of the seminal fluid that is released at ejaculation. A vasectomy does not change the volume, color or consistency of the ejaculate. The quality, intensity and duration of a man's orgasm and ejaculate should not change after vasectomy.

How long do we have to wait to have sex after a vasectomy?
After a vasectomy, it is usually best to wait at least a week following surgery before returning to sexual activity. It is many more weeks before the man is considered sterile.

How big a surgery is a vasectomy?
A vasectomy is a tiny surgical procedure - especially the No-Scalpel Vasectomy method- that usually leaves no visible scars, lumps, bumps or any other noticeable difference to the feel or appearance of the scrotum.

Isn't a tubal ligation just a easy as a vasectomy?
It's not true that tubal ligation is just as easy and safe as vasectomy. In fact, a vasectomy is far easier, faster and poses much less risk of complications than tubal ligation. Vasectomy does not require a general anesthetic or the longer recovery time.

Do I need to see a urologist for a vasectomy? Do other types of doctors perform this procedure?
This is a good question. 

In general a urologist will be the best doctor to do a vasectomy. Why, because a urologist is THE physician and specialty surgeon who has specifically studied and received operative training for the various contents of the scrotum as a requirement for his credentials. That sets him apart from all the other health practitioners that do vasectomies - general surgeons, family practitioners and even some physician assistants. 

There is some cross over though. General surgeons have surgical training that family practitioners don't have. That is important, because following surgical principals is key to a more delicate, painless procedure with minimal complications - something that all patients want - especially in THAT area.
What about if there is no urologist in your area doing vasectomies. Well, sometimes that can be ok. There are some family practitioners who have a vast experience doing vasectomies. A smart physician, who is not a urologist, but who has had extra training and learned from his experiences can also do a good job.

Are there certain qualifications a man needs in order to get a vasectomy? How do I find a reputable doc to perform the surgery?
There are no specific and firm qualifications to get a vasectomy. Each doctor uses his own judgment. Generally, the older a man is, has had children, is in a stable relationship and/or has determined that he does not want further children for an extended time will weigh toward the doctor feeling comfortable to offer a vasectomy.

Finding a reputable doctor to perform the surgery will involve some research on your part. Fortunately, the Internet allows men to find multiple data points on doctors that will help. Patients reporting past experiences - both good and bad - are one source. You can check the qualifications of the doctor, as you can find on 

Urologists have specific and more surgical training in the area of the scrotum than family practitioners, surgeons and gynecologists. And in the end, probably the most important factor is experience. If the doctor appears to be dedicated to the area of vasectomy, that helps. You can check or ask him how many vasectomies he has performed or performs per year. The average urologist in the United States performs 33 vasectomies per year. Doctors dedicated to vasectomies can perform many times that.

Does the vasectomy procedure affect a man's ability to ejaculate?
The short answer is no.

A vasectomy prevents only the sperm from reaching the ejaculate. The ejaculate, or semen as it is more commonly known, is made up of multiple components, of which the sperm is only 2 to 5 percent. Therefore, it is usually difficult to notice any difference in the volume of the ejaculate or semen. The remaining 95 to 98 percent of the semen is made up of various components to help maintain the sperm, including water, the sugar fructose, vitamin C, citric acid, proteins, enzymes, phosphate and bicarbonate buffers, and zinc. The total volume of semen varies widely among men, but is generally higher in young men. Each teaspoon of ejaculate is estimated to have about five calories and up to 500 million sperm.

Can a vasectomy be performed or cause complications on someone with an enlarged prostate?
A vasectomy can be performed in a man without separate concern for an enlarged prostate. The vasectomy should not cause any prostate problems.
Indeed, if the vasectomy is done by a urologist, as it is standardly done, that same urologist can provide total care for the prostate, should any independent prostate difficulty arise.



Don't hesitate to make an appointment to ask Dr. Benderev any additional candid questions.

Call 888-Vasectomy


For Women
Vasectomy Information Source for Wives and Partners
Vasectomy vs. Tubal Ligation vs. Essure®
Questions and Answers

Check out Theodore Benderev, MD on Yelp




Home | No-Needle, No-Scalpel Vasectomy | Anatomy & Terms | Risks & Complications | Alternatives | What to Expect | Vasectomy Procedure | Vasectomy Reversal | Dr. Benderev | Request an Appointment | Contact Us

Site content copyright © 1999-2022 Theodore V. Benderev, M.D. All Rights Reserved. 1-888-VASECTOMY (888-827-3286)

The content of this site is provided for information only and not for medical advice.  This site makes no claims as to the accuracy of its information and is not a substitute for direct consultation with your health care professional.

Dr. Ted Benderev is a well known urologist since 1990 who has performed more than 10,000 vasectomy and vasectomy reversal procedures. His practice is conveniently located in the Orange County communities including Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Corona, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, San Clemente, Tustin, Westminster, and adjacent Inland Empire counties of Riverside and San Bernardino, San Diego and Los Angeles.